THE number of Toowoomba men protected under domestic violence orders is rising.
Exclusive NewsRegional research shows men make up 22.7% of the region’s residents protected from family and domestic violence by the courts.
Local courts issued 701 DVOs across Toowoomba, Pittsworth, Millmerran and Oakey from June 1, 2015 to March 31 of last year.
Of these, 152 went to men and 549 were granted to women.
In the following 12 months the number of DVOs rose, with 181 men and 584 women from the region receiving them.
The divide between male and female victims is reflected by Australian Bureau of Statistics data that shows one in six women and one in 19 men are the victims of intimate partner abuse.
The same research shows one in four women and one in seven men endure emotional abuse.
The Queensland Government provides about $4.4 million a year to DVConnect that runs MensLine, but it did not reveal how much was allocated specifically to support men in DV crisis.
Housing is available through the government’s Homelessness Program for men and children leaving violent households.
MensLine is one of Australia’s key support services for male survivors of domestic violence.
Manager Mark Walters said men often experienced violence from male relatives or, in fewer cases, women.
He said women’s violence towards their male partners or former partners was usually to drive them from the house or protect themselves and their kids.
“The men I have talked to that are genuinely frightened by the potential of harm from their partners, they have no trouble asking for help,” Mr Walters said.
“I do think more males are seeking referrals and support for…
click here to read the rest of this story